BLACK COFFEE
CHARACTERS:
JUNSU
G-YAN
(G-Yan’s POV)
*Flashback*
I giggled shyly and sat down with Alyce while the boys we were with sat across from us. They were boys that Alyce knew. She’d decided that she would set me up with her boyfriend’s best friend, that way, we could get married together.
“Hi,” the boy that I was supposed to be set up with spoke first, “I’m Junsu, but just call me Xiah. It’s nice to meet you two.”
He said the word “two” but he never took his eyes off of me.
“It’s nice to meet you guys too,” I smiled shyly at him, “I’m G-Yan.”
“G-Yan…?”
I nodded.
“Can I call you Yan?”
“Sure,” I beamed. I liked the nickname “Yan” instantly. It was catchy…or was it just because he had given it to me…
A waiter quickly approached our table. “What would you like to drink?” he asked.
Junsu and I waited patiently while Alyce and her boyfriend ordered their fancy and complicated drinks.
“And what would you like to drink miss?”
“Just normal coffee please,”
“Would you like that with crème or milk?”
“Nope, just black please,” I smiled.
“And you sir?” the waiter turned to Junsu.
He smiled at me, “I’ll have the same.”
With that, the waiter walked off.
I stared at Junsu.
“What?” he asked seeming self conscious that I was staring.
“I just wasn’t expecting that you would order that,” I started, “Everyone normally orders something all fancy and long.” I turned to see that Alyce was deep in conversation with her boyfriend.
“I guess we’re just like each other huh?” Junsu joked, “We both like our coffee just normal and black.”
“With sugar of course,” I grinned.
“Of course,” he grinned back.
*Present*
I sat all alone in my hospital room. The lights were all out and rain was pattering on the window quietly. I sat straight up in my bed staring at the rain through the window as tears slid down my cheeks, they fell fast, the same way that water spouted out of a sink faucet.
“I should have known never to have gone…” I quickly wiped my tears at the sound of someone entering the room.
It was Alyce.
“Hey honey, how are you feeling today?” she asked.
“I’m fine,” I faked a smile, just for her.
She frowned in response. “Thinking of him again?”
“What are you talking about?”
“Don’t try to lie to me Yan. I saw you crying.”
I heaved a sigh. “Yes. I was thinking of him again.”
She set down her bag on the chair by my bed and embraced me in a hug. “I’m sorry sweetie. I really am.” She said pulling away from the hug.
“I know you are and it’s ok,” I smiled.
“Alright then, I can’t stay long today though…I would hate to be late…”
“And I would hate to hold you up on your wedding day too.” I replied. I laughed somewhat a somewhat bitter-sweet laugh. “I still wish I could be there….”
“Doctor’s strict orders, you remember right?”
Alyce always followed the rules.
I nodded sadly, “Yes I remember…but at least I don’t have to see him there right?”
“Right honey…” she half-heartedly smiled at me.
It was silent for a moment and all we could hear was the rain against the window.
“Get going Lyce. As much as I want you to stay, you can’t be late today.”
“Alright.” She gave me another long hug. “Are you going to be ok here?” she whispered.
“Yeah,” I replied pulling away. “I’ll be fine.” I grinned.
“Ok then honey, wish me luck. See you later.” Alyce left.
I never liked lying to Alyce, but I didn’t want her to worry today, her wedding day. The truth was, I wasn’t going to last much longer. It had already been three weeks longer than the doctor’s expected me to live.
*Flashback*
Junsu and I walked down the street, hand in hand.
“You know, from the very first time I met you, I already knew that it was you?” I told him gripping his hand tighter.
“Really…?”
“Yup,” I nodded, “I loved you from the start,”
“Love at first sight huh?” he joked, mockingly.
“Hey,” I punched him playfully.
He let out a low chuckle, “I’m just kidding. You know I love you too.”
I smiled as we walked into the café where we’d first met.
“Where would you two like to sit today?” a waiter asked.
“The usual spot,” Junsu answered.
We were led to the spot where we’d been sitting the very first time we’d been here, and the same spot ever since.
“So many memories…” Junsu muttered mostly to himself.
I grinned, “Black coffee.”
We looked at each other and burst out laughing.
After ordering we sat in silence drinking our black coffee. It was a comfortable silence, not strained or uncomfortable at all.
“Hmm…”
“Yeah Oppa…?”
“What do you think love really is after all?”
I opened a packet of sugar and poured it into my coffee.
“That’s a good question…”
*Present*
I glanced at the clock on the wall in front of me.
“They must’ve started the wedding by now...” I said to myself, sighing. “That jerk…he said he was going to marry me. What happened to that?” I looked down at myself. Tears formed in my eyes as I curled my legs up to my chest and hugged them tight. “Jerk…”
*Flashback*
It was raining hard and Junsu and I were arguing on the side walk in front of my house.
“We just need to take a break. I can’t take this…us anymore…” he said.
“Can’t take what?”
“You’re always…” he stopped abruptly mid-sentence.
“Always what?” I asked.
“See! You’re doing it again!”
“Doing what?!”
What had started out as an honest talk turned out to be a full out fight.
“You know what you’re doing! Don’t act innocent!”
I scoffed. “Innocent?! You think I’m trying to be innocent? If I’m over here being ‘miss little innocent’ then what are you doing huh?!”
“Don’t try to turn this on me! You think I don’t know you!? You’re always like this!”
“Like what!?”
I really didn’t know.
“You’re always there when it doesn’t matter. But oh where are you when my problems come in?”
Was he for real?
“What do you want me to do?” my voice could barely be heard over the loud rain. “What are you looking at right now Junsu? And invisible person? Will you see me if I scream and shout?! I’m right in front of you!”
“You know what? I’ve had enough of your shit. I don’t want this anymore. I’ve never loved you ok?!” he looked shocked at his own words. “S-So just leave me alone. I’m going. Bye G-Yan” He turned around and started into the street.
I noticed car speeding down the road and it was heading right for him. He didn’t seem to notice and walked on.
“Junsu!” I screamed and jumped out into the street, pushing him away.
*Present*
“It’s a good thing I jumped out in front of you Junsu…” I whispered. “Otherwise, we would’ve never known…”
I could still hear the Doctor in my head.
“You have a tumor Miss. I’m afraid we weren’t able to find it in time. You only have a few weeks left…”
“And still you didn’t come to see me. Just a simple phone call was all that you bothered enough to do.” I sighed, “I guess what you said was true…” I leaned back onto my bed, exhausted. My eyelids were getting heavier and heavier by the minute. “Is it time already…?” I whispered.
My phone suddenly rang, interrupting me from my sleep.
“Hello?” I answered it.
“Yan…it’s me…how are you?” Junsu asked from the other line.
My eyes filled with tears at the sound of his voice.
“I’m fine. Are you doing well…?”
Am I really crying?
“Y-yeah…listen... I wanted to apologize.”
“It’s ok, I understand. You meant what you said and I understand. You don’t have to apologize.” My eyes started closing again.
“No, Yan. That’s not it, that’s not the truth.”
I didn’t stop myself from crying now. “Why did you wait so long Junsu? I wait for you any longer than I have already waited.”
“What are you saying…?”
“It’s time Junsu…I can’t hold on any longer…”
“No, I’ll be there soon! Just wait for me! Ok? I’ll see you soon ok? Don’t close your eyes. Remember I love you…”
I smiled weakly. My tears were unstoppable now. “You don’t know how happy I am to hear that…” I said in barely a whisper.
“Just wait for me ok? I’ll be there soon!” And with that he hung up.
“I love you Junsu…” I couldn’t hold on any longer. My phone slid out of my hand and my arm fell down with it.
(Junsu’s POV)
I ran into the hospital only to find out that she was already gone. I sat in her room on the chair by her bed and clutched my head, crying, I was too late.
I heard someone come into the room but I didn’t dare look up.
“Excuse me? I was told to give this to you by G-Yan…”
The moment the name “G-Yan” came out of her mouth I started up at her. It was a nurse. She had an envelope in her hand and it was outstretched towards me.
I grabbed the envelope and tore it open as soon as the nurse left the room.
Tears streamed from my eyes as soon as I read the letter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You asked me what love was one time oppa…remember? Here’s my answer.
The way that coffee needs sugar and how computers need keyboards. When it rains, you need umbrellas, and with me, it’s you.
I’ll still need you and love you forever…no matter what you say to me. Even if it hurts me, remember that I’ll always love you.
G-Yan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Labels: by: Lyshim [sexy_green]



